The Beginning

“When we build, let us build as if it would last forever.”
—John Ruskin

When I began this journey in mid-January, I was flooded with flights, insurance, vaccinations, train tickets, research proposals, and a number of other logistical tasks to cross off the list before I could actually get on my way. That day is almost upon me, and as my excitement rises and my first departure date creeps closer and closer, I can’t help but think about how this journey will change me forever and how it will hopefully allow me to “through friendship, leave the world a little better than we found it” (the Circumnavigator Club’s creed). As I embark on this journey I will face new challenges, meet new people, encounter different cultures, and learn a lot about sustainable development and myself along the way.

I am thankful everyday for this amazing opportunity to study something I am passionate about and to hopefully use this research to move the sustainable development movement further on its path to building a world that will last forever. As I wrestle with the proposed direction for the economy, society, and the environment, join me for this journey as I seek the solutions for our healthy development and experience the world and its many treasures.