The Journey Begins

I have now been in Ecuador for close to 24 hours and can truly say that Quito is an amazing city. My airport taxi got lost getting to my hostel so after getting out at the wrong place, I got the opportunity to walk around La Mariscal. I arrived at my hostel and spent the night getting to know the other travelers. After a long day of travel I was in bed quite early ready for my research to begin in the morning.

This morning, I made my way to Yanapuma Headquarters. Yanapuma Foundation is a local NGO working all over Ecuador in support of community empowerment and sustainable development. I got the chance to sit down with the director, Andy Kirby, and we decided that I would focus my research on a town called Estero del Plato, 8 hours south of Quito. Next week I will sit down with the Yanapuma staff and conduct interviews, and then make my way to Estero del Plato to oversee their work there and talk to community members.

This weekend, I plan to explore Quito and head to the Otavalo Market, a world famous market that happens every Saturday. Hopefully, I will have some great pictures to share with you and will try and post again soon.