Weeks 1 and 2 in the Lab

My study is ready for its first participants!  Here is what I have been working on over the past few weeks:

Filming a video for the study stimuli with the help of some research assistant friends

Recording sentences for the test portion of the study. I <3 my Midwestern accent. It will never change. 🙂

Editing sounds in Praat. Side note: Did you know the Praat icon is a mouth and an ear? It seems like every time I use Praat, someone (an RA, grad student, etc.) has this revelation. Praat is one of my favorite open-source software programs. It’s easy to use (even though I still don’t know what Praat Picture is for) and you look really fancy when you’re using it. You can even make a Pinterest-y craft project with it. #science

Making video clips for the stimuli and test sentences Adobe Premiere

Putting everything in WISP for MatLab, which has been the most frustrating task so far. If WISP were a person, it would be that person who cuts you off on the highway, then drives really slowly in front of you. Ugh.

Calling families and inviting them to come to the lab and participate in the study. YAY!

Since I don’t know who is reading this post, I can’t divulge many details of the study itself. You’ll just have to wait until it’s finished and read the resulting paper to learn about it! 😉

Lately, I’ve been feeling a bit jealous of my friends, the majority of whom are interning at big companies or traveling this summer.  But then I remind myself that working with infants and children is my passion. And my friends are only posting the highlights of their summers. I can’t post the highlights of mine because it’s pretty weird to ask to take a photo of someone else’s child. I may not be interning somewhere with a high-rise office, but I get to avoid workplace drama and business suits (yikes). I may not be traveling somewhere exotic, but I get to spend time with my family and friends in my favorite city on earth.

I think it’s a good trade-off. 🙂