The Puppy has Arrived!

Getting to Know the puppy

Getting to Know the puppy

This saturday was the start of my journey as a foster parent (of puppies). I went to Martha’s house to pick up some supplies and I was on my way to pick up the puppy. I really didn’t know what to expect. I wasn’t shown a picture before hand and I didn’t know the name. I got to the house and there were three adorable black puppies. They were all from the same litter and they were quite rambunctious. The women told me I could pick whichever one I pleased. I took a moment and squatted down to their level. Immediately, one of the little puppies ran up and licked my face. She had these sweet perky ears and a white spot on her chest. I knew she was going to be the one I took home.

I couldn’t believe this was actually happening when I loaded her into my car. She was in a small crate suitable for travel. She immediately starting whimpering and crying. I had a moment of panic and I felt guilty that she had to leave her litter. I reached my hand towards the back seat by the door of her crate and she stopped crying. I did this for the rest of the car ride and realized that this was going to be a challenge.

When I arrived home, I became nervous of how my dog Harley, and my cat RC, were going to react. The puppy was very excited when we got home and started exploring immediately. My dog Harley was panting heavily and wagging his tail 100 mph. He wasn’t aggressive or territorial, just very confused and excited. This was more than I could ask for and I have been so proud of him so far in this process. My cat on the other hand wants nothing to with her, but is tolerant so that’s the best we can hope for.

How cute is she!?

How cute is she!?

I set up a little pen for her with blankets and towels on one side and potty pads on the other. She really did not like to be in the pen because she always wants to be in action and around everybody. We had a lot of fun playing with her in the living room, she had bountiful energy and then all of a sudden she was asleep. She is the cutest little sleeping puppy and a great to cuddle with. When she woke up, she had her first accident. I realized that in order to keep the accidents form happening, I had to take her out basically every 20 minutes.

It was finally time for bed at around 10:30. I knew she was not going to be happy sleeping by herself, but as a good owner I had to have some tough love. I put her in the pen and turned the lights

off.The crying was almost immediate, but I had to push through as much as I wanted to make it stop. It stopped within 10 minutes gratefully. I then realized how tired I was after being with her all day. I closed my eyes and drifted into sleep, but in what felt like a minute, it was 6 o’clock and the puppy was awake! Time to start another day.

Sleeping with Harley!

Sleeping with Harley!