My First Shelter Experience

I have started volunteering at Evanston Animal Shelter that is a safe place for dogs and cats. It is a very small shelter that works extremely hard to be a no kill shelter. I have started in a time of change and I am really excited to be a part of the community there. Currently, there are only five dogs at the shelter, but there is an anticipated increase in the spring.

When I first started, I was nervous and didn’t know what the dogs were going to be like. I know it is cliche, but the typical phrase “You can’t judge a book by it’s cover” applies to the dogs at the shelter. They may be a little worn down, but they have such big hearts that want to be loved. There are three pit bulls there now that are all very sweet.

One of them came in the day before and she was so beautiful. She was found tied to the back door of he shelter, waiting to be found. She was most likely left there because the owner didn’t want to pay the $35 fee of giving away a pet. She was really scared and nervous of her surroundings. A few volunteers were sitting with her in a room and I came in to meet her. When I entered she started wagging her tail. My heart just wanted to reach out to her so badly, this dog obviously has been through a lot and she deserves so much. This is so typical of the shelter system. People just leave their dogs because they can’t handle them if they develop any problems. The dog most likely never got the attention or love she needed which is why she is so nervous around people. It is never the dogs fault which is why people need to do serious research and be ready to make a commitment to the dog for the rest of its life when they get them. I know that this dog will be able to recover with some tender love and care.

unnamed