“The People Ride in a Hole in the Ground…”

What a jam-packed weekend!

On Friday we went into Times Square and explored the stores and streets. On Saturday, we got up early to go to an event at the Nintendo Store (Why? because I’m still 10-years old, that’s why.) Then, we went to the 9/11 Memorial. The fountains where the towers stood are truly breathtaking. We went further south to Battery Park and took the Staten Island Ferry. On the island, we checked out the Yankees’ minor league stadium and hopped on the next ferry back. It was a fantastic view of all of the southern boroughs, as well as the Statue of Liberty. That night, we went to a Mets game and stayed for the entire 14 innings. We took Sunday morning/afternoon to rest, and then headed out into Little Italy for some great Italian food. After dinner, we went to Something Rotten! which was absolutely one of the funniest musical comedies I have ever seen. It was pure delight from start to finish. I am going to try and get in touch with the music director to see if I can observe that fantastic-sounding orchestra. Megan left early this morning, and now I’m back to research!

Today, I am score-preparing for Gumbo. This new workshop starts tomorrow, and I could not be more excited! This score is FANTASTIC. And the concept is mind-boggling: it is the story of Orpheus/Eurydice placed on the events of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. I could not be more excited for my second professional NYC show.

I will be at Gumbo all week, with meetings most days. I am interviewing the music director of Fun Home soon! It’s shaping up to be a wonderful fourth week.